“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”Gilda Radner

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

When Mommy's sick...

...the boys step up.

I don't want to say I'm loving it. It sounds wrong on so many levels, especially given that I'm a recovering germophobe. (Hear that? Recovering--Yes, you read that correctly!) And also, a hypochondriac. I love the part in that Jennifer Aniston/Jason Bateman movie The Switch when the little boy says, "What's hypochondria?" and Jason Bateman explains, and the little boy frowns and says gravely, "I think I have that." Yes, I am aware that I have just compared myself to the character of a six-year-old. So?

Anyway, I'm not horrifically ill, just a cold and a sore throat, but it is one of those maladies that makes me feel like wearing pajamas all day, drinking tea, and lounging around under cozy blankets. Not really much fun for little boys, but what can you do?

I was shocked, then, to find Noah hovering over me this afternoon. He pressed his hand to my forehead, frowned, and nodded. "Yes," he said seriously. "I think you need plenty of rest. And lollipops." Then he kissed my cheek and my forehead and said, "I'm here. It's okay."

Later, he brought me his remote control firetruck so I could have some fun without leaving the couch. He pressed the remote into my hand and said, "Go ahead, Mom. You can have my turn." After a few minutes, he picked up the truck and brought it close to me. "Want to see a trick?" he asked. "Press right here and the truck will beep. I promise it will work."

As I pressed the spot he pointed to, he leaned closed to me ear and squealed, "BEEP!" Then he blinked innocently, raised one up-turned hand in the air, and said, "See? Does that make you happy?"

At night, as I tucked Joey into bed, he said, "Just go, Mom. Don't worry about me. You really need your sleep."

I know I'm a little biased, but I can't help but think I have the best boys ever. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment