“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”Gilda Radner

Monday, February 20, 2012

Cold Pack, Warm Heart

Have I mentioned that I'm clumsy? Unfairly so? Inanimate objects seem to grab me with a magnetic force that is meant for me and only me. I bump doorjambs so often I actually wonder if I've been shoved by a ghost or if the wall is jumping out to get me. And thank goodness for the floor, always sure to catch me when I fall. So thoughtful.

Tonight after I'd given the boys their bath, I smacked the side of my head on the...wait for it...CORNER of the granite countertop as I bent down to help Noah. The boys are no strangers to my injuries, and as I crumbled into the fetal position clutching my head and moaning (and also wishing someone might get a bowl to catch the brains surely oozing from what had to be a gaping wound), Joey played with his toes and hummed. Yes, really.

Oddly enough, it was Noah who flew to me, wrapped his arms around me and said, "Are you okay?" I was deep-breathing through it, so I wasn't sure if he heard me when I gasped, "No!" Suddenly, he dropped his Eeyore towel. He ran out of the room in a streak of cuteness, and returned to me holding his most prized and valued possession. His icepack.

He held it out in front of his round little tummy, his eyes wide and earnest as he said, "Put this on your boo-boo, Momma. You need it more than I do right now."

Dumbfounded, I did what he asked, all the while thanking God that he'd given me a son so weird he needed his own personal icepack.  Because he sleeps with it (yes, really--he has lots of aches and pains that mean he just can't possibly go to sleep at nap time), it was warm and mushy, but the love that came along with it really helped the throbbing in my head to subside.

I think it was overpowered by the swelling in my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment