“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”Gilda Radner

Thursday, December 1, 2011

I Forgot

A list of things I routinely cannot find:
Car keys
Credit card
Cell phone
Cordless home phone
Driver's license
Wedding rings
Remote control
Any important documents I will ever need again
A pen

Things I most say to my husband most often:
Have you seen...?
Where is my...?
Did you move the...?
Can you help me find...?
I'm going to be late and I lost my...!!!
YOU MOVED IT!  I KNOW YOU DID!

Last spring, I bought my father-in-law a great birthday gift.  I dressed my boys up for his party, and we drove over a half hour early to spend extra time with him on his special day.  It was the wrong day.

I once sat in a doctor's waiting room for a half hour before someone came out and told me my appointment was the following week, and they'd be happy to see me then.

Several times a day, I enter a room and immediately forget why I'm there.

This probably all seems very frightening to other people, but I can tell you when it began.  Or rather, with whom.  He is three years old and believes that sleeping is optional.  If you are up for a rock concert at 2 am, he'd be happy to oblige.

I'm pretty sure that given a glass of wine and a solid night's sleep, my keys would be on the hook by the door, my purse would hold my credit card, license, and cell phone, my wedding ring would be on my hand, and I'd know where to find a pen.  A pen that works, even.

A


No comments:

Post a Comment