“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”Gilda Radner

Sunday, October 16, 2011

On the Night You Were Born

Yes, I did receive the Sweater Blanket.

But tonight I got the greatest present of all.

It was NOT when Noah stuck his arm down the hole in the toilet this morning (Joe's fault).

It was NOT when I was presented with a chocolate cake I could not eat (Mom's fault).

It was NOT when my mother called me to tell me she made me a SECOND cake, invited me over, and we realized it, too, was chocolate and I could not eat that one, either (She made me a third one; quite delicious).

Nope. It was at bedtime tonight, when Joey pulled a book off his shelf and brought it over to our beanbag chair for his nightly story. It's a book called "On the Night You Were Born," and it's one of those books that makes me all misty when I read it to Joey because it's all about how unique and magical and special it is that he exists. I always read it on his birthday, but I like to read it occasionally Just Because. Tonight he said, "I will read it to you, Mommy." And he did.

I hope I can always remember the way the lamplight lit up his blonde hair and the way he put his forehead against mine and giggled through the sillier parts of his rendition of our story. It sure made my world tonight.

1 comment: