“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”Gilda Radner

Friday, October 28, 2011

Little Men

"Mom, I got this."

This is the sort of thing Joey has been saying a lot lately.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but with Joe out of town this week and me not feeling well, my kids have fallen victim to TV, computer games, and "quiet" games in the playroom without Mommy.

I usually consider myself a "hands-on" parent.  I like to play with my children, I like them to know I'm present.  They are aware that their father and I are actively involved in everything that happens to them, and I believe that this will help them to be strong, family-oriented, and generally terrific people.  So far, I think it's working.

Lately, however, I've been forced to become a bit more hands-off.  I can't physically chase them right now, and I can't do creative crafts and projects.  Pretty much resting, cuddling, and watching movies is the best I can do.  

But Joey and Noah are actually doing okay.  I'd like to say it's all because of the type of attitude and environment Joe and I have worked so hard to foster, but honestly think it's all owed to Joey and Noah.  I think they might just be the best of both their parents, and are really cool people.

I rest on the couch, and Joey lets his little brother pick out a book to read.  Joey reads the whole thing cover to cover, using funny voices and asking Noah (strangely) great questions: "What do you think will happen next, Noah?" and "Can you BELIEVE this?  Why do YOU think he's acting that way in the story?"  

Joey is teaching Noah how to work the laptop, and helping him with reading and coloring games on Sprout Online.  I actually heard him say once, "Yeah, that DOES look fun, Noah, but I don't think it's appropriate for us."

Joey, because he's doing so well as a reader, has taught himself how to work "On Demand" cable.  He knows there are some things I don't like him to see, and goes directly to the Disney Channel.  Then he lets his little brother pick out the show they will both sit and watch.  

There's no way that I can stay on the outside of our daily activities for much longer.  My sister says there must be something wrong with me, but I actually miss spending time with my kids after even a short while.  But it's a good feeling to know that so far, they're everything anyone would wish their kids to be.


P.S.--They certainly have moments of trouble and mischief, too.  But right now, they've earned their right to shine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment