“I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.”Gilda Radner

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Going For a Spin

Having children does nothing for my self esteem.

We were heading to Grandma Judy's for dinner, but discovered she was not yet home from work.  Ignoring my feelings of disgruntled irritation (I really wish people would just drop everything and be THERE for me already), I suggested to the boys that we "go for a spin."  They responded with their usual enthusiasm; this is one of their favorite things to do.

At Halloween, we like to go through neighborhoods and shout out about the best Halloween decorations. At Christmastime, we drive around to see the twinkly lights.  Today, there was nothing much to see so we just drove through town with the radio playing.

The radio is kind of a pain.  First of all, in this age of "On Demand" everything, Noah and Joey really don't understand that I really can't just make Bon Jovi come on.  Or Selena Gomez.  Or the Glee version of "Forget You," because they think Cee-Lo sounds weird.  Additionally, Joey listens to the radio on the bus, and thinks he knows what's up.  He shouts at me as I try to drive and radio surf, "Put on FM 96!  Put on FM 96!  It's the BEST!" Noah can't EVER be outdone (or outshouted) so he begins yelling, "I want 'Baby, Baby!'  Put on Justin Bieber!"

To combat this, I put on my favorite oldies stations and turn the music up really loud.  The boys are super offended by oldies--I have no idea why because they are awesome...?  Anyway, today "Happy Together" by the Turtles was playing and I was really feeling the groove as we approached an intersection.  I mean I was really belting out, and was just getting into the fantasy that a music producer would pull up alongside my car with papers to sign me up because I was singing THAT well when Joey exploded into coughs and gags in the back seat.  Joey, who is prone to carsickness and, also, random, meaningless (but gross nonetheless) vomiting.

Luckily, the light was red.  I whirled around in horror.  "Are you okay??"

He smiled serenely.  "Yes, I'm fine," he said.

I turned around and was just about to chorus, "Me and you, and you and me," when suddenly I froze.  I turned back at Joey who was staring at me.

"Were you trying to get me to stop singing?" I asked.

"Well, Mom, sometimes I just like to hear the music, if you know what I mean."




No comments:

Post a Comment